The Site Water Technician is responsible for effecting and maintaining water savings for a given property portfolio.
Effecting water savings includes site water audits to find the cause of water losses and/ or opportunities for water substitution, implementing the proposed intervention schedule of water savings and maintaining optimised water consumption per site for the length of a given contract.
The Site Water Technician may also from time to time be asked to work on other contracts or in Regions other than in Durban/ Richard’s Bay.
The Site Water Technician will report directly to the Technical Supervisor and the Regional Controller for the Region, who in turn report to the Chief Operations Officer and the Chief Executive Officer.
The job description for the Site Water Technician is outlined below, but not limited to:
- Liaise with and report to the Technical Supervisor and Project Controller for the region.
- Liaise with the maintenance departments for each facility in the region to coordinate and get approval for activities, determine their leak reports, transfer skills and to sign-off on job cards.
- Water Audits of facilities to determine:
- Meter accuracy and location;
- Outside users;
- Demarcated areas for zoning and sub-zoning;
- Visible leak repairs (including storage vessels, bulk infrastructure, indoor connections and end-users points);
- Invisible leak repairs;
- Potential for pressure management;
- Potential for water substitution;
- Determine an intervention schedule for each site in consultation with the Technical Supervisor and the Regional Controller:
- A list of water savings interventions;
- An estimate of kl/day water savings per intervention;
- Obtaining quotes for each intervention;
- Scheduling of interventions for implementation.
- Implement and/ or supervise sub-contractors to implement the water savings intervention schedule.
- Monitor and maintain water savings per site.
- Provide feedback and materials for reporting on water savings to the Client.
Technical Skills Requirements
- Cut and install bulk infrastructure fitting: bulk meters, Non-return valve, Ball Valves, etc.
- Repair pipe bursts/ leaks ranging from 15 mm to 250 mm;
- Ability to carry out domestic plumbing such as repair leaks on cistern mechanisms, taps, flush valves, stop cocks etc
- Measure pipe diameters and have a good understanding of the pipes and fittings required to carry out repairs on older pipe systems such as asbestos cement and galvanised pipe work.
- Understanding/Experience in water conservation ie. Borehole, rain and grey water harvesting will be an advantage.
- Understanding/Experience of bulk infrastructure ie. reservoirs, pump stations and the ability to conduct step tests will be an advantage.
General Skills Requirements
- General Understanding of the utility environment with particular reference to Water infrastructure and water efficiency;
- Must be self-driven and highly motivated to achieve results;
- Report to and communicate with a team of Supervisors, Clients and Sub-contractors in the region.
- Must be able to use Gmail, Google Drive and Google Chrome, Excel and Microsoft Project Manager;
- Meticulous recording of information, filing and paperwork;
- Professionally dedicated, innovative, patient and able to work independently
- Customer Service Orientated